It’s critical to get the right person with the right expertise for the job of a financial forensic investigation.
Financial forensic investigations combine accounting, sleuthing and fact-finding processes to help unravel complex matters regarding your money.
Working on financial forensic investigations, I blend a laser-focused, analytical approach with creativity and curiosity, which helps you answer the tough questions about the money matters in your divorce.
In this section…
- What is a forensic accountant?
- When should I work with a forensic accountant?
- What services do you do as a forensic accountant?
What is a forensic accountant?
Part money cruncher, part gumshoe, as a forensic accountant I work to analyze, account for and address crucial financial matters of separate property in your divorce.
The role and expertise of the financial accountant can make the difference in the final outcome of your divorce case, so understanding the what and why behind financial forensics is imperative.
I trace separate and community property through the years of the marriage by looking at every transaction in every relevant account. With the results and in accordance with Texas Family Law rules, I calculate the amounts and percentages of the separate and the community property.
When should I work with a forensic accountant?
We’re a rare breed, you know? Forensic accountants are a specialized professional necessary in unique situations – including divorce.
The days of a simple, straightforward divorce are equally rare. Most couples have more than just the house, some money and a little debt – and instead, have retirement accounts, children, and a plethora of community property. How do you untie a hefty knot like that?
When you have a long marriage with some wealth, some investments, healthy retirement accounts and perhaps a business or two, it’s imperative you have someone at your side to run analyses, trace assets and help you understand the who and the what behind every penny. I encourage you to go beyond just hiring a bean counter, but find an experienced forensics CPA who can skillfully maneuver the overwhelming amount of data necessary to pinpoint your finances.
What services do you offer as a forensic accountant?
As a forensic accountant, I can assist you with the following:
- I analyze copious amounts of complex financial and transaction data to develop an easy-to-understand report so that all parties have the necessary facts to make sound decisions.
- I support legal counsel in discovery for devising technical questions for depositions and interrogatories.
- I help legal counsel see the merits and weaknesses of the opposing counsel’s arguments for a different characterization result.
- I assist legal counsel in preparing for mediation and/or trial by developing financial questions to use in cross-examination of an opposing counsel’s expert.