It’s critical to get the right person with the right expertise for the job of a financial forensic investigation.
Financial forensic investigations combine accounting, auditing and investigatory processes to help unravel complex matters regarding your money.
Working on financial forensic investigations, I blend a laser-focused, analytical approach with creativity and curiosity, which helps you answer the tough questions about the money matters in your divorce.
In this section…
- What is a forensic accountant?
- When should I work with a forensic accountant?
- What services do you do as a forensic accountant?
What is a forensic accountant?
Part money cruncher, part gumshoe, as a forensic accountant I work to analyze, account for and address complex, peculiar and crucial financial matters in your divorce.
The role and expertise of the financial accountant can make the difference in the final outcome of your divorce case, so understanding the what and why behind financial forensics is imperative.
As a forensic accountant, I work creatively to investigate and prepare a summarized report when only part of the complete records are available. I also identify the character of property (separate property vs community property). This kind of investigation requires historical voluminous and complex financial transactions that go back to the date of marriage.
Translation: precision, persistence and problem-solving are the key ingredients to help you answer even the toughest questions about money and your divorce.
When should I work with a forensic accountant?
We’re a rare breed, you know? Forensic accountants are a specialized professional necessary in unique situations – including divorce.
The days of a simple, straightforward divorce are equally rare. Most couples have more than just the house, some money and a little debt – and instead, have complex retirement accounts, children, and a plethora of community property. How do you untie a hefty knot like that?
If you’re going through a divorce, it is imperative you have someone at your side to run analyses, trace assets and debts, and help you understand the who and the what behind every penny. I encourage you to go beyond just hiring a bean counter, but find someone who can skillfully maneuver the overwhelming amount of data necessary to pinpoint your finances.
What services do you offer as a forensic accountant?
As a forensic accountant, I can assist you with the following:
- I analyze copious amounts of complex financial and transaction data to develop an easy-to-understand report so that all parties have the necessary facts to make sound decisions.
- I support legal counsel in discovery for devising technical questions for depositions and interrogatories.
- I educate legal counsel on the merits and weaknesses of an opposing counsel’s position.
- I assist legal counsel in preparing for mediation and/or trial by developing financial questions to use in cross-examination of an opposing counsel’s expert.